Why do we prevent static archives from being loaded when DYNAMIC_GHC_PROGRAMS=YES?

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 13:42:23 UTC 2018

I'm not sure how you could make DYNAMIC_GHC_PROGRAMS into a runtime flag,
since it controls whether GHC itself (and the other tools) are built as
dynamic executables. If GHC is a dynamic executable, then it can only load
-fPIC code to link at runtime.

Cheers
Simon

On 13 June 2018 at 02:30, Moritz Angermann <moritz.angermann at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thank you both for the replies.
>
> My issue with the current situation is that I can navigate myself into a
> situation where I’m stuck. By asking ghc to build static libraries, it will
> later fall over when it tries to load those.
>
> Guess what I really want is to turn the DYNAMIC_GHC_PROGRAMS into a
> runtime flag.
>
> That might help with getting out of the situation without resorting to
> building two ghcs.
>
> Cheers,
>  Moritz
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 12 Jun 2018, at 9:07 PM, Phyx <lonetiger at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> You could work around the dlopen issue as long as the static library is
> compiled with -fPIC by using  --whole-archive (assuming you permit dangling
> references which will need to be resolved later) and making a shared
> library out of the static code. But you'd have to create one shared library
> per static library and preserve the order so you don't end up with symbol
> collisions.
>
> And you'd likely not want to do it this on every relink. But i think the -
> fPIC is a much greater hurdle. Very few of the static libraries a user may
> want to use would have this likely.
>
> I think it'll end up being quite a messy situation..
>

> On Thu, Jun 7, 2018, 22:01 Simon Marlow <marlowsd at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> There's a technical restriction. The static code would be compiled with
>> the small memory model, so it would have 32-bit relocations for external
>> references, assuming that those references would resolve to something in
>> the low 2GB of the address space. But we would be trying to link it against
>> shared libraries which could be loaded anywhere in the address space.
>>
>> If the static code was compiled with -fPIC then it might be possible, but
>> there's also the restriction that we wouldn't be able to dlopen() a shared
>> library that depends on the statically linked code, because the system
>> linker can't see the symbols that the RTS linker has loaded. GHC doesn't
>> currently know about this restriction, so it would probably go ahead and
>> try, and things would break.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Simon
>>

>> On 29 May 2018 at 04:05, Moritz Angermann <moritz at lichtzwerge.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear friends,
>>>
>>> when we build GHC with DYNAMIC_GHC_PROGRAMS=YES, we essentially prevent
>>> ghc/ghci
>>> from using archives (.a).  Is there a technical reason behind this?  The