Linker speed on GHC

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Sat Dec 22 15:19:36 UTC 2018

Hi Tamar,

I have recently been looking quite a bit at our continuous integration
due to the transition to GitLab and have found that the Windows builder
is almost always the rate-limiting step. Builds routinely take three
hours or more, with much of the time being spent in the bfd linker.

I am working to add more builders but ultimately there is only so much
that we can do with the resources we have, especially given that Windows
VM instances are essentially twice the cost of their Linux counterparts
due to Windows licensing fees.

I know in the past you have thought about ld performance on Windows. Has
there been any development on this front? Is there anything obvious we
can do to improve the situation?

Cheers,

- Ben