Fwd: [commit: ghc] master: Use https links in user-facing startup and error messages (a1c0b70)

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Sat Dec 15 16:30:44 UTC 2018

Sylvain Henry <sylvain at haskus.fr> writes:

> Hi Ben,
>
> I've just noticed that when you commit a diff from phab (as below), you
> are assigned both as committer and *author* (see also here
> https://git.haskell.org/ghc.git/commitdiff/a1c0b70638949a73bbd404c11797f2edf28f5965).

Yes, this is very unfortunate. It is a known quirk of arc land
that it sometimes fails to properly attribute patches; it only happens
occasionally and I haven't been able to identify the precise cause.
I generally look for this improper attribution and resolve it manually
but it seems I missed this one.

> Reviewers and subscribers to the phab diff are indicated in the commit
> message but not the author (here Ingo Blechschmidt "iblech"). I'm
> worried that if the Phabricator instance goes down we won't be able to
> retrieve commit authors. And also that they are not credited
> appropriately (cf git shortlog -sne).

Yes, this is a concern. Unfortunately there is little that can be done now.
Thankfully we will soon be free of this issue.

> (By the way, I've also noticed that .mailmap contents isn't up to date:
> `git shortlog -se | cut -f2 | cut -d'<' -f1 | uniq -d` isn't empty.
> Maybe you could add a check in a script somewhere to ensure that it
> stays empty when you push a commit?).

This is something I intend to do after the GitLab transition, yes.

Cheers,

- Ben