Any ways to test a GHC build against large set of packages (including test suites)?

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Mon Aug 6 13:44:30 UTC 2018

Ömer Sinan Ağacan <omeragacan at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to test some GHC builds + some compile and runtime flag combinations
> against a large set of packages by building them and running test suites. For
> this I need
>
> - A set of packages that are known to work with latest GHC
> - A way to build them and run their test suites (if I could specify compile and
>   runtime flags that'd be even better)
>
> I think stackage can serve as (1) but I don't know how to do (2). Can anyone
> point me to the right direction? I vaguely remember some nix-based solution for
> this that was being discussed on the IRC channel, but can't recall any details.

You are probably remembering head.hackage [1], which has both nix and
non-nix tooling. A few of us have been trying to bring it
up-to-date with GHC 8.6. I suspect the changes in HEAD are small enough
that it will work with newer compilers as well.

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://github.com/hvr/head.hackage