More windows

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Apr 2 22:23:29 UTC 2018

Tamar
I've noticed that "sh" (which is invoked at lot by make etc) takes AGES to start up.  At least I think it's 'sh' that is causing the delay.
I think it's c:/msys64/usr/bin/sh.exe
>From searching the web (eg https://www2.cs.duke.edu/csl/docs/unix_course/intro-60.html)  it seems likely that it executes c:/msys64/etc/profile first.
And If I put an 'echo' at the start and end of that file, they do seem to take place with a significant gap between them.
I have not started sprinkling more echos, but does that ring any bells?
Can I replace 'sh' with c:/msys64/usr/bin/bash.exe, which seems to be faster?   (My evnt variable SHELL already points to bash.exe. )  And if so, how would I do that? An environment variable.  Physically copy bash.exe to sh.exe?  Or what?
Thanks