More windows

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Wed Oct 11 13:10:36 UTC 2017

Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs <ghc-devs at haskell.org> writes:

> Any ideas anyone? When I restart the build, it gets past the blockage
> (which seems highly specific). But it’s jolly annoying.

Hi Simon,

Perhaps let's try this,

 1. download and run the procmon tool from [1]
 2. from the "Filter" menu select the "Filter..." option
 3. select "Path" in the first drop-down
 4. select "contains" in the second drop-down
 5. enter "ghc-cabal.exe" in the third text box
 6. select "Include in the fourth drop-down
 8. click the "Add" button
 7. click the "Ok" button

Now you should be logging events pertaining to the file in question. Now
simply run `./validate` to try to reproduce the issue.

With luck this will produce a handful of events, some of which ought to
point to the process that it responsible for meddling with the GHC
build.

Now export this log,

 1. select "Save" from the "File" menu
 2. select the "Events displayed using current filter" option
 3. select the "CSV" format, select a path that will be easy to file
 4. return this file to me (perhaps via GitHub Gist [2]?)

Hopefully this will give us some insight into what is happening.

Cheers,

- Ben

[1] https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon
[2] https://gist.github.com/