Invariants about UnivCo?

Nicolas Frisby nicolas.frisby at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 00:19:01 UTC 2017

I can happily report some progress: I'm seeing no more Core lint errors!

1) Thank you both Richard and Simon for your pointers --
-fprint-typechecker-elaboration in particular was a revelation.

2) Simon, I intend to match the spirit of the favor you requested, but not
to the letter. My goal with this project is to write a typechecker plugin
for achieving row types _without_ editing GHC's source code. I'm keeping an
annotated bibliography of things I've studied (papers, guide/wiki/blog,
source Notes, etc). (It's nice to put a bunch of related notes in the same
text file!) I'm also logging my epiphanies, which I do intend to write-up
in some kind of document (probably on the dev wiki). I'm planning a section
for suggesting which Notes should be adjusted/expanded, but I don't
anticipate feeling comfortable enough to actually edit the Notes myself.
This is unfortunately just a hobby project. My intent is to offer you,
Richard, and other experts the details of what wasn't clear to me.

3) I confirmed that the lack of cobox uniques in the dump output was indeed
due to `ppr_co' deferring to `ppr @IfaceType'; it does that (at least) for
every coercion with a head of `TyConAppCo'. With a tiny kludgy patch I was
able to persist those uniques just for debugging purposes.

4) My top-level error is an "out of scope cobox" Lint error, but (once I
patched the dumper) the output of -fprint-typechecker-elaboration showed
sufficient bindings for all of the cobox occurrences, even the one that the
Lint error was flagging! Stymied, I finally did a -DDEBUG build of the
ghc-8.2.2-rc1 tag and used that. It ultimately lead to me finding my
mistakes. (New wisdom: always use a DEBUG build when authoring a plugin.
(... Duh.))

4a) ASSERT failures showed that I was invoking `substTy' without correctly
initializing the `InScopeSet'. I also was ignorant that I should be using
`extendTvSubstAndInScope' instead of just `extendTvSubst'. I don't think
this was relevant to my particular Lint error, but I fixed it if only to
see further ASSERT failures.

4b) Fixing my `InScopeSet's ASSERT failure revealed another:
`extendIdSubst' was being called with a CoVar! That's something that my
plugin code absolutely does not do, so at that point I knew that some
higher-level operation I was doing was knocking the rest of GHC's pipeline
off the rails. (In particular, I traced this ASSERT callstack to
extendIdSubst called from simpleOptExpr called from
mkInlineUnfoldingWithArity called from DsBinds. I stopped there.)

5) The first suspect turned out to be the culprit: I was using my plugin's
by-fiat coercions in the most naive possible way, always simply `EvCast ev
(fiatCoercion ty0 ty1)`. In particular, I was even doing that to create new
Given unlifted equality witnesses from existing Given unlifted equality
witnesses when simplifying Given constraints (e.g. for example reducing a
plugin-specific type family application on one side of an unlifted equality
type ~#).

In summary, I see no more ASSERT failures or Lint errors having now changed
my plugin to prefer `EvCoercion (TransCo U (TransCo co U))` to `EvCast
(EvCoercion co) U`. The actual diff excerpt is here:
https://github.com/nfrisby/coxswain/issues/3#issuecomment-334972227

I have not figured out exactly why that change matters, but it does seem a
reasonable preference to require. In particular, Note [Coercion evidence
terms] in TcEvidence.hs explicitly says that `EvCast (EvCoercion co1) co2`
is a valid form of evidence for ~#. So perhaps that Note deserves
elaboration --- I'm guessing the missing part may be specific to Givens?

-Nick