GHC HEAD now needs extra tools to build libffi?

Ryan Scott ryan.gl.scott at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 22:33:10 UTC 2017

Trying to build a fresh copy of GHC HEAD (at commit [1]) today failed
for me with this error: [2]

    /u/rgscott/Software/ghc4/libffi/build/missing: line 81: makeinfo:
command not found
    WARNING: 'makeinfo' is missing on your system.
             You should only need it if you modified a '.texi' file, or
             any other file indirectly affecting the aspect of the manual.
             You might want to install the Texinfo package:
             <http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/>
             The spurious makeinfo call might also be the consequence of
             using a buggy 'make' (AIX, DU, IRIX), in which case you might
             want to install GNU make:
             <http://www.gnu.org/software/make/>

On my Ubuntu machine, I was able to work around the issue by running:

    apt-get install texinfo

But I'm not sure if the texinfo requirement was expected or an
unintended side effect of recent libffi changes. Do you know what's
happening here Moritz?

Best,
Ryan S.
-----