[ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.2.1 release candidate 2

Alberto Valverde alberto at toscat.net
Fri May 19 09:33:36 UTC 2017

Hi,

I'm trying to build an app with the new release candidate and I'm running
into a couple of issues, some which I can fix or workaround, some are
worrisome and others are blocking me. I'm using Nix, if that matters.

The fixable
---------------

- The expected too strict version bounds. Worked around using doJailbreak,
will send PRs to the respective packages with relaxed bounds.
- A weird kind error when using ConstraintKinds in a propietary package
which didn't manifest itself with ghc < 8.2:

src/Sigym4/Propag/Types.hs:1071:4: error:
    • Expected a type, but
      ‘(PropagIOConstraint l a,
        Missing (PropagIOVector l) (PropagIONullable l a),
        Elem (PropagIONullable l a) ~ a)’ has kind
      ‘Constraint’
    • In the type ‘((PropagIOConstraint l a,
                     Missing (PropagIOVector l) (PropagIONullable l a),
                     Elem (PropagIONullable l a) ~ a))’
      In the type declaration for ‘CanSerialize’

1071 |   (( PropagIOConstraint l a
     |    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^...

src/Sigym4/Propag/Types.hs:1077:4: error:
    • Expected a constraint,
        but ‘(CanSerialize l Double, CanSerialize l Int16)’ has kind ‘*’
    • In the type ‘(CanSerialize l Double, CanSerialize l Int16)’
      In the type declaration for ‘CanSerializePropagTypes’

1077 |    ( CanSerialize l Double
     |    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^...

I cannot link to the source for this package since it belongs to my
employer but I think that the interesting code is:

type CanSerialize l a =
( PropagIOConstraint l a
, Missing (PropagIOVector l) (PropagIONullable l a)
, Elem (PropagIONullable l a) ~ a
)

where PropagIOConstraint, PropagIONullable and PropagIOVector are
"standalone" type families and Elem is an associated type family (not from
IsList)

Both errors disappear if I give an explicit kind signature like this: "type
CanSerialize l a = (..... :: Constraint)". Is this expected behaviour?
Should I try to isolate and open a ticket?

The worrisome
--------------------

- I had to disable the tests for two packages since they seem to "hang"
 (ie: they never finish running and don't seem to consume any CPU time).
These packages are lens-4.15.1 and fingertree-0.1.1.0. Maybe it's a Nix
environmental issue, I'm not sure. Can anyone reproduce this?

The blockers

- I can't manage to install several packages which include executables
(namely, update-nix-fetchgit and snap-server, for the moment) because Cabal
says that it cannot find the source for the main module of the executables:

"Setup: can't find source for Main in ."

It seems that the "hs-source-dir" directive in the .cabal file is not being
honored. Maybe a Nix-only issue? Can anyone reproduce this? Any ideas on
how can I fix it?

Thanks very much for GHC, btw :)

Alberto