8.2 and earlier build times
timmcgil at gmail.com
Tue May 16 21:40:02 UTC 2017
Very interesting, that would suggest there is some improvement in build
I want to test out compile times with each of those compilers on our
pathological worst case dependency amazonka (
and a library we've built on top of it mismi (
https://github.com/ambiata/mismi) today. The code in both have a lot of
derivings for data types which seems to be one of the slowest parts.
I'm not that conversant with stack as a tool but were these compile times
with optimisations on / off?
On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 4:08 AM, Christopher Allen <cma at bitemyapp.com>
> I did a build time test with hackage.haskell.org/package/bloodhound today.
> I tested 8.2 (RC), 8.0, 7.10, and 7.8. I used Bloodhound in part
> because it has very few but very large modules which is sort of a
> pathological case for GHC right now.
> I first built the deps and library with each compilers and then reran
> the build once or twice until the results stabilized. The build
> re-built the V5/Types module and the examples depending on that
> module. I triggered a build by adding/removing newline characters in
> the V5/Types module.
> I've pushed the build targets / stack.yamls to the git repository:
> Here are the results:
> 8.2 build:
> 126.37s user 2.26s system 101% cpu 2:07.16 total
> 8.0 build:
> 147.44s user 2.24s system 100% cpu 2:28.93 total
> 7.10 build:
> 163.38s user 2.14s system 100% cpu 2:44.64 total
> 7.8 build:
> 129.12s user 2.30s system 101% cpu 2:10.09 total
> Please let me know if you have any questions.
> Chris Allen
> Currently working on http://haskellbook.com
> ghc-devs mailing list
> ghc-devs at haskell.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the ghc-devs