Adding a module

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Thu Mar 16 18:13:22 UTC 2017

Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs <ghc-devs at haskell.org> writes:

> If you add a module to GHC, I know you need to extend ghc.cabal.in.   But also ghc.mk? Otherwise I get hits
>

> If you add a module to GHC, I know you need to extend ghc.cabal.in.   But also ghc.mk? Otherwise I get hits
> /usr/bin/ar: creating rts/dist/build/libHSrts_debug.a
>
> Reachable modules from DynFlags out of date
>
> Please fix compiler/ghc.mk, or building DLLs on Windows may break (#7780)
>
> Extra modules: CoreOpt
>
> make[1]: *** [compiler/stage2/dll-split.stamp] Error 1

> make: *** [all] Error 2
>

> Is it necessary to have two places to extend?

Well, I suppose we might be able to compute the list of accessible
modules instead of listing them by hand. However, I'm not sure that this
would be worth the complexity it would introduce.

Moreover, I believe that Tamar is working towards being able to entirely
lift the need for this list (please correct me if I'm wrong, Tamar). If
things go well his work should be in 8.4.

Cheers,

- Ben