Hunting down a compilation performance regression involving type families

David Feuer david at well-typed.com
Tue Jun 6 18:01:30 UTC 2017

Edward Kmett has explained that this isn't sufficient when things go higher order. His suggested improvement is
    liftCoercion :: Maybe (Coercion a b -> Coercion (f a) (f b))

David FeuerWell-Typed, LLP
-------- Original message --------From: Ryan Scott <ryan.gl.scott at gmail.com> Date: 6/6/17  1:41 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: Richard Eisenberg <rae at cs.brynmawr.edu> Cc: GHC developers <ghc-devs at haskell.org>, Eric Mertens <emertens at gmail.com> Subject: Re: Hunting down a compilation performance regression involving type families
Hrm. It's a shame that supporting this map/coerce RULE causes such pain.

This makes me wonder: can we get rid of this RULE? Eric Mertens pointed out
a trick [1] that's used in the profunctors library to make mapping coerce
over certain Profunctors more efficient. To adapt this trick for Functor,
we'd need to add another class method:

    class Functor f where
        fmap :: (a -> b) -> f a -> f b
        (<#>) :: Coercible a b => (a -> b) -> f a -> f b
        (<#>) = \f -> \p -> p `seq` fmap f p

Now, when implementing Functor instances, if we are working with a datatype
whose role is representational or phantom, we can make (<#>) really fast:

    data List a = Nil | Cons a (List a)
    instance Functor List where
        fmap = ...
        (<#>) = coerce

Now, instead of relying on (map MkNewtype Nil) to rewrite to Nil, we can
just use (MkNewtype <#> Nil)! No map/coerce RULE necessary :)

OK, I realize that suggesting that we remove the RULE is perhaps a touch
too far. But it does sting that we have to pay hefty compilation penalties
because of its existence...

Ryan S.
-----
[1]