nofib on Shake

Michal Terepeta michal.terepeta at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 19:44:20 UTC 2017

> On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 7:45 PM Ben Gamari <ben at well-typed.com> wrote:
> Michal Terepeta <michal.terepeta at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > While looking at nofib, I've found a blog post from Neil Mitchell [1],
> > which describes a Shake build system for nofib. The comments mentioned
> > that this should get merged, but it seems that nothing actually
happened?
> > Is there some fundamental reason for that?
> >
> Indeed there is no fundamental reason and I think it would be great to
> make nofib a bit easier to run and modify.

Ok, cool. I'll have a look at using Neil's code and see if it needs
any updating or if something is missing.

> However, I think we should be careful to maintain some degree of
> compatibility. One of the nice properties of nofib is that it can be run
> against a wide range of compiler versions. It would be ashame if, for
> instance, Joachim's gipeda had to do different things to extract
> performance metrics from logs produced by logs pre- and post-Shake
> nofibs.

Thanks for mentioning this! I don't have any concrete plans to change
that at the moment, but I was thinking that in the future it'd be nice
if the results were, e.g., a simple csv file, instead of a log
containing all the stdout/stderr (i.e., it currently contains the
results, any warnings from GHC, output from `Debug.Trace.trace`,
etc.)
Anyway, that's probably further down the road, so before doing
anything, I'll likely send an email to ghc-devs so that we can discuss
this.

Cheers,
Michal