Trac to Phabricator (Maniphest) migration prototype

Matthew Pickering matthewtpickering at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 12:01:14 UTC 2017

With regards to the other two points that Ben made.

I solicited the opinion of a few people when I first made the
prototype and the reaction was that it didn't matter to them. We
should really make this decision based on the opinions of people who
are high utilisers of the tracker. The experience should be better for
occasional contributors as there are many more options for
authentication and clearer control over notifications.

The interaction with the stable branch was something I had not
considered yet so thank you for bringing this up. I spent yesterday
looking at the situation and it doesn't look like there is anything
immediate which could help with release management. People in
#phabricator told me that we shouldn't use Releeph as there were plans
to change it significantly and it wasn't a finished product. They
pointed me to https://secure.phabricator.com/T9530 and
https://secure.phabricator.com/D16981 which describe the future of the
feature. In particular, the "Facebook-Style Cherry-Picks /
Phabricator-Style Stable / Backporting" work flow looks close to
current practices. This being said, it isn't clear at all when they
plan to introduce these features.

Custom forms are also a good idea. We could even modify the URLs
sometimes produced by the compiler for panics to prefill certain
fields of the form.
(For example.. http://ec2-52-214-147-146.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com/maniphest/task/edit/?projects=Inlining&title=Simplified%20Ticks%20Exhausted)

Matt