Trac to Phabricator (Maniphest) migration prototype

Matthew Pickering matthewtpickering at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 11:41:55 UTC 2017

To first reply to the one specific reoccurring point about custom fields.

The problem with 'os' and 'architecture' is a philosophical one, in
what way are they any different to any other metadata for a ticket? I
am of the opinion that we should only include information when it is
relevant, a lot of the time these two fields are not.
Including the fields as a special case is in fact worse as users feel
obliged to complete them even when they are irrelevant. Users who are
interested in these platforms are interested in problems which are
specific.

These fields have been structured for over 10 years now, some options
have been barely used but still clutter all interfaces. Nearly 2000
tickets are tagged as relevant to `x86` which massively dwarfs the
other fields -- there is an assumption that unless otherwise stated
the problem is manifested on x86 as that is the default use case.
What's more, just by browsing tickets categorised with this meta data,
it is often evident from the title that the problem is on a
non-default operating system. The assumption in this case is some
debian derivation, users reporting issues on other operating systems
include the operating system prominently as they know it is not
standard. (For example -
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/query?os=MacOS+X&order=priority)

Stats for architecture - https://phabricator.haskell.org/P133

Stats for operating system - https://phabricator.haskell.org/P134

I modified my local install of phab to add custom fields,

http://ec2-52-214-147-146.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com/M1/7/

The results were better than I remembered but I am unsatisfied that
they behave differently to projects and clutter up the description of
each ticket when they are "unset".

On the other hand, I think custom fields are suitable for things like
test case, wikipage etc. It is easy to add a field to carry over the
test case but I always found it a bit redundant as by looking at the
commit information you could work out which test is relevant to which
commit.

So to summarise I think..

Component -> Projects
OS -> (Sub)Projects
Arch -> (Sub)Projects
Keywords -> Projects
Version -> Remove (It is a proxy for date reported)
Milestone -> Project (Milestone)

Matt