Build time over travis time limit again

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Thu Feb 9 23:29:39 UTC 2017

Andrey Mokhov <andrey.mokhov at newcastle.ac.uk> writes:

> Joachim, Ben,
>
> I gave it a try on my machine.
>
> First of all, we currently need "--flavour=quick" instead of "quickest" because the latter builds only vanilla RTS.
>
> If I do:
>
> ./build.bat -j --flavour=quick
> ./build.bat -j --flavour=quick validate
>
> Then the testsuite completes, but I get a lot of errors, particularly
> in "ghci/", "perf/" and "th/". Most of them can probably be fixed
> relatively easily in Hadrian, but this requires a good understanding
> of which GHC features these tests actually depend on. I'll create an
> issue in the Hadrian repo to track down these testsuite failures and
> will CC you.

I'm actually not sure it will be so easy for fix some of these. I have
seen breakage of the ghci tests in non-validate build configurations
(see #13243); this can likely be fixed but it will require some digging
as it's not apparent to me what is going wrong. The performance tests
will be quite sensitive to optimization level. That being said, perhaps
we could make performance testsuite failures non-fatal for the Travis
tests.

Cheers,

- Ben