GHC release timing and future build infrastructure

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 16:30:17 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 10:19 PM, Ben Gamari <ben at well-typed.com> wrote:

> I just posted a pair of posts on the GHC blog [1,2] laying out some
> thoughts on the GHC release cycle timing [1] and how this relates to the
> in-progress Jenkins build infrastructure [2]. When you have a some time
> feel free to give them a read and comment (either here or on the Reddit
> thread [3]).

This release was actually a bit unusual for recent releases, in that a
significant delay did *not* come from working around a major breaking
behavior change in a Tier 1 platform; recent examples being macOS's load
commands limit and Ubuntu defaulting to position-independent executables.

I think this might be relevant to the question of slipping extra stuff into
releases: it's become so common to have extra time courtesy of Tier 1
platforms breaking things on us that slipping extra stuff in is now
expected.