How, precisely, can we improve?

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Tue Sep 27 16:27:33 UTC 2016

Eric Seidel <eric at seidel.io> writes:

> Thanks for the link Alan.
>
> I can personally attest to being intimidated by GHC's wiki when I
> started contributing. I think having a review mechanism in place would
> have helped, because then you at least know that one or two other people
> think your content is clear.
>
> On a more minor note, I know the trac wiki has a history feature, but
> for some reason I find it much less useful than a git history. Perhaps
> this is just an issue of familiarity.

I agree, Trac's history feature is quite painful to use. I think that
the issue runs deeper than just familiarity. Being restricted comparing
revisions in a pairwise manner poses quite a usability problem. Git is
simply far more powerful in this area which is one of the advantages
that the new proposals process has relative to the Trac wiki.
Thankfully, this power isn't strictly necessary for most of the
non-proposal content currently in the Wiki.

Cheers,

- Ben