Notes from Ben's "contribute to ghc" discussion

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 01:56:38 UTC 2016

On Sat, Sep 24, 2016 at 9:44 PM, Michael Sloan <mgsloan at gmail.com> wrote:

> It is irrelevant why Rust has an advantage. Lets please emulate their
> successful strategies instead of in-fighting.

Does that include having Mozilla Corp. backing them? What is your
suggestion for this?

I understand that you think this is an important cause for the dearth of
contributors --- I've watched enough would-be contributors bounce off the
code base (long before even considering the tooling) and give up to have
major doubts, as underlined by Richard's recent message --- but throwing
everything out and building a new infrastructure is not something that
happens by itself. It needs *people* and it needs *time*. And it's harder
(and needs more people and more time) when you have a couple decades' worth
of history (which Rust did not). If you have a solution to this problem,
I'm sure people would like to hear it.