Notes from Ben's "contribute to ghc" discussion

Christopher Allen cma at bitemyapp.com
Sat Sep 24 23:36:55 UTC 2016

>I think the we'd want to restrict this to Diffs submitted by contributors who already possess commit bits and specifically include a "no-review" tag in the summary.

Is this intended to address the issues new contributors have in
contributing to GHC? This looks more insider stuff that misses the
point if so.

If new contributors are not part of a conversation about contributing
to GHC, when and where did that conversation happen and what is being
done about it?

On Sat, Sep 24, 2016 at 4:37 PM, Ben Gamari <ben at smart-cactus.org> wrote:

>>> \o/
>>
>> How would this work? Could there be a cooldown period? e.g. commits sit a
>> day before being auto-committed?
>>
>> Validate really only validates Linux x86_64. The situation is already quite
>> dire for other architectures and OSes,
>> I fear making it worse by not allowing people time to object.
>>
> The solution here is to extend Harbormaster coverage, which is on my
> list anyways. My priorities is roughly,
>
>> Would this be a per person setting? This just raises so many questions. And
>> I don't quite see what problem it's solving
>> because presumably code is tested before it's put on Phab isn't it?
>
> I think the we'd want to restrict this to Diffs submitted by
> contributors who already possess commit bits and specifically include a
> "no-review" tag in the summary. The idea here is to provide an
> alternative to pushing directly to master, extending the coverage of
> Harbormaster without inconveniencing contributors.
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Ben

Chris Allen
Currently working on http://haskellbook.com