Notes from Ben's "contribute to ghc" discussion

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Sat Sep 24 21:33:17 UTC 2016

Joachim Breitner <mail at joachim-breitner.de> writes:

> Hi,

Thanks everyone for your comments, and to Simon for collecting these
notes.

> I’ll add some notes to extend the discussion to the mailing list.
>
> Am Samstag, den 24.09.2016, 01:44 +0000 schrieb Simon Peyton Jones via
> ghc-devs:
>>
>> ·        Make user manual into its own repo, to make it easier to
>> take pull requests.  But that makes it harder when making
>> synchronised changes to GHC and user manual.
>
> I don’t think we need a separate repo in order to allow contributors to
> easily build the manual on its own, and to accept contributions to via
> GitHub.

The only slightly tricky part here is the users guide parts generated by
utils/mkUserGuidePart. This is currently built by stage1, but strictly
speaking there's no reason why it couldn't be built with stage0.

>> ·        Auto-push: Ability to push to Phab and have it committed
>> automatically if it validates.

I'll look into how we might be able to accomplish this.

Cheers,

- Ben