Long-term storage of abandoned branches

John Wiegley johnw at newartisans.com
Mon Oct 24 18:13:30 UTC 2016

JB> Maybe I should move the branch to archive/foobar, to make it clear that
JB> this is not something actively worked on?

As a side note: you could move them into a different ref spec entirely, which
is not pulled by default when someone clone's or pull's. For example, you
could store them under:

    refs/archives/foobar

Which would require a pullspec to be added before someone can gain access to
these archives:

    git config remote.origin.fetch '+refs/archives/*:refs/remotes/origin/archives/*'

GitHub does something very similar with its pull requests, which are stored
under a "pull" ref spec, and are not cloned by default, but can be accessed by
adding the appropriate fetch attribute:

    +refs/pull/*:refs/remotes/origin/pr/*