Rank2Types example not typechecking w/ GHC8. Bug or feature?

Oleg Grenrus oleg.grenrus at iki.fi
Sun May 29 18:20:01 UTC 2016

The non-outer variant works, because then there aren’t higher rank types at all, i.e. `state` of `Handler` is free to flow outwards.

There is two ways to fix issue: Either use `newtype` or use `ImpredicativeTypes`

—

{-# LANGUAGE RankNTypes #-}

module TestTypes where

data State a        = State a

data Dummy          = Dummy

newtype Handler result = Handler { runHandler :: forall state . State state -> IO result }

type Resolver       = String -> Handler String

eventRouter :: Resolver -> String -> IO ()
eventRouter resolver event =
    runHandler (resolver event) state >> return ()
  where
    state :: State ()
    state = undefined

{-
-- does type check
createResolver :: Resolver
createResolver = \event state -> return "result"

processor :: IO ()
processor =
    getLine >>= eventRouter resolver >> processor
  where
    resolver = createResolver
-}

eventConsumer :: Resolver -> String -> IO ()
eventConsumer = undefined
{-
rank2.hs:34:17: error:
    • Cannot instantiate unification variable ‘a0’
      with a type involving foralls: Resolver -> String -> IO ()
        GHC doesn't yet support impredicative polymorphism
    • In the expression: undefined
      In an equation for ‘eventConsumer’: eventConsumer = undefined
-}

-- does not type check when the rank 2 type isn't the "outermost" one?
createResolver :: (Resolver, Dummy)
createResolver = (\event -> Handler $ \state -> return "result", Dummy)

processor :: IO ()
processor =
    getLine >>= eventConsumer resolver >> processor
  where
    resolver :: Resolver
    resolver = fst (createResolver :: (Resolver, Dummy))

{-
    • Couldn't match type ‘t’ with ‘Resolver’
      ‘t’ is a rigid type variable bound by
        the inferred type of resolver :: t at TestTypes.hs:41:5
      Expected type: (t, Dummy)
        Actual type: (Resolver, Dummy)
-}

---