[ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.0.1 source tarball available

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Sat May 14 10:05:11 UTC 2016

Jan Stolarek <jan.stolarek at p.lodz.pl> writes:

> I am getting a build error under openSUSE 11.4:
>
> make -C utils/haddock/doc html SPHINX_BUILD=/usr/bin/sphinx-build
> /usr/bin/sphinx-build -b html . .build-html
> Running Sphinx v1.2.3
>
> Theme error:
> no theme named 'alabaster' found (missing theme.conf?)
> make[2]: *** [html] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [html_utils/haddock/doc] Error 2
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> Any suggestions how to fix it?

Yes, it seems that the theme that haddock requests was first introduced
to Sphinx in version 1.3. I have encountered this issue myself as well
and yesterday pushed a patch vendorizing the alabaster repository to
ensure that we can build with earlier Sphinx versions. Without this
patch the workaround is to `pip install alabaster` or disable building
of Sphinx documentation.

So, be we yet again have the question of how to deal with this change. I really don't
know what I want to let Haddock's documentation hold up the GHC release
any more than it already has. As I indicated earlier, the prospect of
releasing binaries which weren't derived from the official source
release isn't terribly attractive but may be the best we can do here.
The alternative would be do release 8.0.1 as-is with some notes in the
release notes and immediately start preparing an 8.0.2 after its is
released.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

- Ben