Mentor for a JVM backend for GHC

Rahul Muttineni rahulmutt at gmail.com
Mon May 2 17:55:36 UTC 2016

@Carter:
1) Actually, that would be harder. I've given the implementation without
the new features a lot of thought and it's simpler to get done. I've only
briefly given a thought on how the newer JVM features could be used, but I
figured as I port more of the GHC's RTS/code generator, I'll know enough of
the nuances to be able to judge where to apply these new features
effectively.

2) Thanks for the suggestion. I don't use IRC that often, but if I could
reach more people there then I'll give it a try.

3) Right now it doesn't do anything that is visible to the user so I'll
hold off on that until I've ported a tiny but usable subset of the code
generator. My target is to get the basic Java FFI and I/O working so that
there's something new and interesting to play with.

@Edward: Thanks a lot! That would be great.

@Karel: Yeah it is, but the reward of being able to run Haskell anywhere is
definitely worth it! I'm aware of the LambdaVM project. I didn't mention it
because I wanted to focus on the present. I sent Brian Alliet an email
asking for guidance on architectural decisions a while back, but have
received no response.

I'd be interested in having a copy of the LambdaVM source, thanks. There
are a couple of places in the design I'm iffy on, so it'd be nice to have a
source of inspiration.

Frege is a great project in its own right, but GHC Haskell has become the
standard and I find many of the extensions to be useful in eliminating many
more classes of bugs at compile-time.

Thanks guys,
Rahul Muttineni

On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 9:59 PM, Karel Gardas <karel.gardas at centrum.cz>
wrote:

> Rahul,
>
> a lot of work in front of you. There was a similar project in the past,
> LambdaVM was it's name, author Brian Alliet -- unfortunately google can't
> reveal working site with it nor web.archive.org. What I can offer you are
> some of the latest sources of this project. It's based on GHC 6.7 version
> so really an old base, but perhaps something would be usable even for your
> own work and even after all those years? Let me know if you are interested
> and I'll pack that and upload somewhere -- well assuming you have not heart
> about it since otherwise I would expect it to be noted somewhere in your
> email. Just let me know if you are interested...
>
> Anyway, I'm keeping my finger crossed for this your work! I'm personally
> very interested in seeing Haskell hosted in JVM and inter operable with
> Java...(yes, I know about Frege...)
>
> Cheers,
> Karel
>

> On 05/ 2/16 05:26 PM, Rahul Muttineni wrote:
>
>> Hi GHC Developers,
>>
>> I've started working on a JVM backend for GHC [1] and I'd love to work
>> on it as my Summer of Haskell project.
>>
>> Currently, the build system is setup using a mix of Shake (for the RTS
>> build) and Stack (for the main compiler build) and I ensure that most
>> commits build successfully. I have ported the core part of the scheduler
>> and ported over the fundamental types (Capability, StgTSO, Task,
>> StgClosure, etc.) taking advantage of OOP in the implementation when I
>> could.
>>
>> Additionally, I performed a non-trivial refactor of the hs-java package
>> adding support for inner classes and fields which was very cumbersome to
>> do in the original package. On the frontend, I have tapped into the STG
>> code from the GHC 7.10.3 library and setup a CodeGen monad for
>> generating JVM bytecode. The main task of generating the actual
>> bytecode, porting the more critical parts of the RTS, and adding support
>> for the threaded RTS remain.
>>
>> The strategy for compilation is as follows:
>> - Intercept the STG code in the GHC pipeline
>> - Convert from STG->JVM bytecode [2] in a similar manner as STG->Cmm
>> preserving semantics as best as possible [3]
>> - Port the GHC RTS (normal & threaded) to Java [4]
>> - Put all the generated class files + RTS into a single jar to be run
>> directly by the JVM.
>>
>> My objectives for the project during the summer are:
>> - To implement the compilation strategy mentioned above
>> - Implement the Java FFI for foreign imports. [5]
>> - Implement the most important [6] PrimOps that GHC supports.
>> - Port the base package replacing the C FFI imports with equivalent Java
>> FFI imports. [7]
>>
>> A little bit about myself: I spent a lot of time studying functional
>> language implementation by reading SPJ's famous book and reading
>> research papers on related topics last summer as self-study.
>>
>> I took a break and resumed a couple months ago where I spent a lot of
> [...]

Rahul Muttineni