possible tuple elimination optimization?

Dan Doel dan.doel at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 20:40:50 UTC 2016

By the way, in case this helps your mental model, if you modify sumr to be:

    sumr n = snd $ as' 1 0
      where
      as' i s
        | i >= n = (i, s)
        | otherwise = ...

Then it has the same problem as sumh. Your original as' for sumr is
strict in s, but this modified one isn't.

This shows another way to fix sumh, too. Create a version of until
that separates out the part of the state that is only for testing.
Then the until loop will be strict in the result part of the state,
and the desired optimizations will happen (in this case):

    until' p step = go
     where
     go t r
       | p t = r