Updatable, single entry, one-short thunks and lambda

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Thu Mar 17 13:54:26 UTC 2016

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 17.03.2016, 13:16 +0100 schrieb Joachim Breitner:
> in the literature, the code and the comments, I often find these
> notions:
>  * updatable
>  * single-entry
>  * one-shot
> applied to thunks, functions, closures and lambda expressions on
> various levels
>
> I have the impression that these are indeed plain synonyms (resp.
> antinyms) when it comes to thunks and other closures, and indicate
> whether a dynamic instance of this closure is going to be entered once
> or more than once.

More code reading¹ indicates that updatable and single-entry are
antinyms for Thunks, but other closures are always "not updatable" and
"not (necessarily) single entry".

Greetings,
Joachim

¹ closureUpdReqd and closureSingleEntry in StgCmmClosure.

--
Joachim “nomeata” Breitner
  mail at joachim-breitner.dehttps://www.joachim-breitner.de/
  Debian Developer: nomeata at debian.org