Syntax changes due to TypeInType

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Wed Mar 16 01:16:46 UTC 2016

The TypeInType patch did relatively little to the abstract syntax. HsImplicitBndrs no longer separates type variables and kind variables. And there was some major surgery to the type/kind parser (discussed below). It's that last bit that you probably want to know about. But check out https://phabricator.haskell.org/rGHC6746549772c5cc0ac66c0fce562f297f4d4b80a2 and you'll see that not much changed.

The "major surgery" to the parser is concerned solely with parsing *. Because the kind * is parsed like an alphanumeric identifier and the type * is parsed like an infix operator, and because types and kinds have to share a parser, we can't use the old HsOpTy story. Instead, we essentially parse a bunch of space-separated tokens in a type as a list, stored in HsAppsTy. Then, in the renamer, once we know which * we're dealing with, we can get rid of HsAppsTy and go on with HsOpTy, etc., as usual. That's really it. There may be improvements possible to this scheme -- I'm far from wedded to it.

The bigger change in the syntax since GHC 7.10 is Simon's wildcard refactor, https://phabricator.haskell.org/rGHC1e041b7382b6aa329e4ad9625439f811e0f27232   The new story is quite well explained in a Note, starting at https://github.com/ghc/ghc/blob/master/compiler/hsSyn/HsTypes.hs#L137

There is also the addition of visible type application, but that's just two new constructor in HsExpr, HsAppType/HsAppTypeOut. I believe it's straightforward.

Are there other particular points giving you challenge?

Richard