Semantics of IORefs in GHC

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Mar 14 09:06:58 UTC 2016

Maclan

I’m glad you enjoyed the awkward squad paper.

I urge you to write to the Haskell Café mailing list and/or ghc-devs.  Lots of smart people there.  Ryan Newton is working on this kind of stuff; I’ve cc’d him.

But my rough answer would be: IORefs are really only meant for single-threaded work.  Use STM for concurrent communication.

That’s not to say that we are done!  The Haskell community doesn’t have many people like you, who care about the detail of the memory model.  So please do help us :).   For example, perhaps we could guarantee a simple sequential memory model without much additional cost?

Simon