msys2 64 bit: help help!

Andrey Mokhov andrey.mokhov at newcastle.ac.uk
Mon Jun 27 21:59:36 UTC 2016

Hi Simon,

> 3. After this step, starting a shell failed altogether with "c:/msys64/mingw64_shell.bat is
> not recognised as an internal or external command". And sure enough, there is no such file.
> Presumably it existed in step 1.  So perhaps step 2 deleted it?
> [...]
> 4. As you mention, I then tried msys2_shell.cmd.  It worked -- with a noticeable delay of 5
> seconds or so.

I've also just got a new Win10 laptop and had the same issue with missing mingw64_shell.bat during msys2 install. I solved it by creating mingw64.bat with the following contents:

msys2_shell.cmd -mingw64 -mintty

I deleted all old shortcuts and use this script instead. Everything seems to work fine -- can build GHC.

Cheers,
Andrey