Harbourmaster is still not building diffs

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Thu Jun 9 16:52:01 UTC 2016

Matthew Pickering <matthewtpickering at gmail.com> writes:

> Since a couple of months ago, harbourmaster no longer builds diffs.
> This is quite a large barrier to entry for new contributors as running
> ./validate takes a long time.

Hi Matthew,

Indeed it has been a very long time since Harbormaster has built diffs.

The story is this: in the past our Harbormaster infrastructure has
been rather brittle due to its reliance on `arc` to apply differentials.
With recently work in Phabricator this fragility can now be addressed,
but at the cost of reworking some of our existing build infrastructure.
Moreover, the new Harbormaster story seems to not have been designed
with a public project such as ours in mind, so there are a few security
issues which need to be worked out (namely it requires a git repository
to which all Phab users can push commits).

Getting to this point has unfortunately taken significantly longer than
expected to get to this point and it's still not entirely clear how the
new Harbormaster roll-out will work. At this point I suspect we ought to
just roll back to the previous Harbormaster automation script unless there
is a clear path forward with the new infrastructure.

Austin, what do you think? Can we set a concrete timeline for bringing
Harbormaster back up?

Cheers,

- Ben