Why upper bound version numbers?

Erik Hesselink hesselink at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 08:43:14 UTC 2016

Others have already commented on many aspects of this discussion, but
I just wanted to mention that cabal has an '--allow-newer' flag to
disregard these constraints, so '--allow-newer=base' would allow you
to try and compile this package with GHC 8. Since GHC 8 is very recent
though and base 4.3 is very old, I imagine it won't work. In general I
think many packages haven't been updated for GHC 8 yet.

Erik