[commit: ghc] wip/generics-flip: Flip around imports of GHC.Generics (cb12bdf)

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Mon Jul 18 23:18:56 UTC 2016

Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs <ghc-devs at haskell.org> writes:

> I don’t object to this, but I suspect that it's just covering up some other bug.

Indeed, I concluded the same after our chat today.

I've made a bit of progress tracking down the cause of GHC.Generics
being loaded when looking for a `Foldable []` instance. It looks like
the cause is the evaluation of the `mod` binding in
IfaceEnv.instIsVisible. The RHS of this binding pulls on is_dfun to get
its `idName` (which it only need the Module from).

I'm afraid I'll need to pick this up tomorrow though; it's getting
rather late. I'll paste the above in the ticket to ensure it isn't lost.

Cheers,

- Ben