GHC build time graphs

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Thu Jan 28 22:34:33 UTC 2016

Joachim Breitner <mail at joachim-breitner.de> writes:

> Hi Oleg,
>
> Am Freitag, den 29.01.2016, 00:22 +0200 schrieb Oleg Grenrus:
>> Is the same compiler used to build HEAD and 7.10,1?
>
> Good call. In fact, no: 7.10.1 is built with 7.6.3, while HEAD is built
> with 7.10.3.
>
> Anthony’s link, i.e.
> https://perf.haskell.org/ghc/#compare/ca00def1d7093d6b5b2a937ddfc8a01c152038eb/a496f82d5684f3025a60877600e82f0b29736e85
> has links to the build logs of either build; there I could find that information.
>
> That might be (part) of the problem. But if it is, it is even worse, as
> it would mean not only building the compiler got slower, but the
> compiler itself...

I can verify that the build itself is indeed slower. Validating the
current state of ghc-7.10 takes 19 minutes, whereas ghc-8.0 takes 25.5
minutes. This isn't entirely unexpected but the change is quite a bit
larger than I had thought. It would be nice to know which commits are
responsible.

Cheers,

- Ben