Unexpected lack of change in ghcspeed results

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Wed Jan 27 22:23:25 UTC 2016

Dear Reid,

Am Mittwoch, den 27.01.2016, 14:50 -0500 schrieb Reid Barton:
> I was interested to see what effect the recent commit "Restore
> original alignment for info tables" (0dc7b36c) would have on
> performance. However, when I look at http://ghcspeed-nomeata.rhcloud.
> com/changes/?rev=0dc7b36c3c261b3eccf8460581fcd3d71f6e6ff6, I don't
> see the expected binary size increase (about 1%) that I got in local
> testing. Instead, the size increase appears to be attached to commit
> 0d92d9cb6d65fd00f9910c3f6f85bc6c68f5543b.
>
> I notice that these two commits, along with three others, were
> committed at exactly the same time (Wed Jan 27 11:32:15 2016 +0100),
> presumably in a rebase. Could this be confusing ghcspeed?

heh, I’m surprised: Both that the ghcspeed server still runs, and that
people are still using it :-)

Indeed, you observe correctly, ghcspeed does not handle git rebases
well. That was one of the reasons why I reimplemented the server from
scratch. It now runs under perf.haskell.org, and there the expected
changes are attributed to the right commit:
https://perf.haskell.org/ghc/#revision/0dc7b36c3c261b3eccf8460581fcd3d71f6e6ff6

Is ghcspeed still linked somewhere, or was it an old bookmark from you
that led you there?

Greetings,
Joachim

--