[ANNOUNCE] Shaking up GHC

Andrey Mokhov andrey.mokhov at newcastle.ac.uk
Sat Jan 23 13:05:56 UTC 2016

Thanks David!

> Are there any plans as to how to include it in the GHC tree? Does it
> ship with all the libraries required to build the build system, will we
> have a mini-build system to bootstrap it? If I recall correctly, we rely
> on Cabal sandboxes on Linux/OSX and global Cabal library
> installations on Windows in order to run it.

The simplest way is to add the 'shake-build' folder to the GHC tree and
ask first adopters of the new build system to globally install the
dependencies (ansi-terminal, mtl, shake, QuickCheck). Then 'build.sh'
and 'build.bat' scripts should work.

I am open to suggestions on how to make this more convenient and
robust. I've never used anything more advanced than a global cabal
installation, so I'd appreciate input from more experienced users.

Could you create a ticket on github suggesting possible approaches?
I'm afraid our discussion may get lost in ghc-devs mailing list.

Many thanks!
Andrey