CallStack naming

Eric Seidel eric at seidel.io
Wed Jan 20 16:05:47 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016, at 02:25, Simon Peyton Jones wrote:
> |  > undefined :: AppendsCallStack => a
> |
> |  Seems simpler. Is it problems with a nullary class?
>
> Hmm.  Actually I think that's quite a good idea.

I agree, this is much nicer than enabling ImplicitParams and having to
remember the naming convention!

However, it seems to me that we could implement this as a constraint
synonym (pending Joachim's bug #11466). So the main benefit from giving
CallStack its own class would be in simplifying the implementation.

> There are disadvantages:
>
> * The special cases in the type checker need a 2-level pattern
>   match: for the magic "IP" class, and then the magic "CallStack" type

I don't think this is so bad, we already have a function isCallStackCt
that encapsulates the logic.

> * In principle you might have multiple call stacks kicking around
>   at the same time
>      boo :: (?a::CallStack, ?b::CallStack) => Int -> Int
>   Now I'm not really sure what is supposed to happen about solving
>   these constraints.  Perhaps it could be a feature, but it's not
>   one anyone has asked for, and even having to think about it makes
>   my head hurt.

Ugh, I don't want to think about this either.

> Your alternative suggestion is to have a magic nullary class, the
> ICallStack class ("I" for implicit) so that
>
>    class ICallStack where
>       callStack :: CallStack
>
> At least that's is the implementation, but all the user can see is the
> overloaded function
>
>   callStack :: ICallStack => CallStack
>
> The solving rules, the CallStack type, and functions for printing it,
> would be precisely as now.
>
> I like this.  What about others?

I think there's a problem with this approach. The new ability to freeze
CallStacks relies on being able to construct new dictionaries on-the-fly
for ImplicitParams. So if we were to re-implement CallStacks with their
own class, we would have to copy the shadowing logic that we already
have for ImplicitParams.

So I'm in favor of Joachim's constraint synonym.

Eric