New type of ($) operator in GHC 8.0 is problematic

Manuel M T Chakravarty chak at justtesting.org
Wed Feb 17 08:59:38 UTC 2016

We have tried variations of this. This approach has two problems.

(1) It’s generally easier to use something than to define it and, e.g., in the case of lists, Haskell ”magic” syntax is more intuitive to use.

For example, we use lists for a while before we define them. Even recursive definitions with pattern matching on [] and (:) are fairly easy to explain and for students to write quite a while before we discuss data declarations.

The build-in syntax for lists is convenient for using collections before properly explaining the full structure of terms and the concept of data constructors etc.

(2) We repeatedly found that any for-teaching-only definitions come with quite a bit of hidden costs.

At some point, you need to make the transition from the for-teaching-only definitions to the ”real” definitions. At this point, you invariably lose the students who managed to just get everything up to that point — i.e., those students that were struggling anyway. For us, alpha renaming is a trivial process. However, learners (and esp. the weaker learners) are rather tied to syntax and concrete names. They don’t deal well with alpha renaming.

Additionally, by introducing for-teaching-only definitions, you basically cut learners of from all the online resources that they could otherwise access. You probably won’t be able to match it up with a textbook unless you write one yourself. (Even if there is a book, this book then becomes the only resource.) This is an enormous disadvantage.

Manuel