Fwd: Is anything being done to remedy the soul crushing compile times of GHC?

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Tue Feb 16 15:41:21 UTC 2016

Manuel M T Chakravarty <chak at justtesting.org> writes:

> There is currently an interesting discussion on Reddit on GHC compile
> times
>
>   https://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/45q90s/is_anything_being_done_to_remedy_the_soul/
>
> I feel that this is a serious problem; so, it probably ought to be
> discussed here as well.

One area that is in terrible need of attention is nofib itself. It's a
good start but it needs many more testcases representative of today's
idiomatic Haskell.

It would be great if we could get users to submit their
computationally-heavy, toy projects. Unfortunately, the best testcases
for us are those with no dependencies outside of the core libraries and
these projects aren't terribly common.

Cheers,

- Ben