[ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.0.1 release candidate 2

Sven Panne svenpanne at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 20:05:29 UTC 2016

> Sven Panne <svenpanne at gmail.com> writes:
> The reason for this is that the things missing signatures are pattern
> synonyms, which have their warnings controlled by -Wmissing-pat-syn-sigs
> [1], which is enabled in -Wall by default.

OK, I missed that in the release notes. Two points here:

   * The naming of the options is horrible, sometimes it's "sigs",
sometimes it's "signatures". I would prefer if we named them consistently
(probably "signatures", it's easier to search for).

   * Given the myriad of warning-related options, It is *extremely* hard to
figure out which one caused the actual warning in question. The solution to
this is very easy and done this way in clang/gcc (don't remember which one,
I'm switching quite often): Just suffix all warnings consistently with the
option causing it, e.g.

    Top-level binding with no type signature: [ -Wmissing-pat-syn-sigs]:
    <code causing the warning>

Cheers,
   S.