Reconsidering -Wall and -Wcompat

Boespflug, Mathieu m at tweag.io
Mon Feb 15 10:33:09 UTC 2016

Hi Ben,

could we enlarge the options a bit? I feel that we're in a false
dichotomy currently. I think the issue isn't so much what warnings you
see from the compiler with common settings, so much as "what warnings
will cause my build to fail?". i.e. the issue isn't what's in -Wall,
it's what goes in -Werror...

If we don't include -Wcompat in -Wall, then I suspect Ben is quite
right that many will ignore / not be aware of -Wcompat hence rendering
the 3 release policy rather moot (it's much less useful if developers
don't /know/ they're incompatible until the last minute). If we do
include it then packages with -Wall -Werror will fail far too early:
i.e. way before the compat change actually happens, 3 compiler
releases down the line. So may I suggest the following:

* include -Wcompat and -Wall, but make it "magic" so that -Wcompat
never causes a build to fail even when users set -Wall -Werror.

This should address the concerns I've been hearing by folks at large
companies who say that at their company a warning is equivalent to an
error, because they always compile with -Wall -Werror. Otherwise
warnings just accumulate, hence no one pays attention to them, hence
warnings become useless.

As an aside: I believe -Wall should do what it says on the tin: enable
all warnings. When GHC comes up with new warnings, we should pretty
much never hesitate to add them to the -Wall set. At Tweag I/O we've
had one instance of a serious bug that shipped into production and
several days worth of wasted effort, because a constraint maintaining
a key invariant was mistakenly unused. -fwarn-redundant-constraints
would of caught this bug very early and saved us all the trouble (a
test would have worked too, but as it happens a test did exist but had
a bug too).

Best,
--
Mathieu Boespflug