MonadFail decisions

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 16:22:47 UTC 2015

The current intention is to go ahead with MonadFail.

It sounds like we'll need to delay the warnings themselves until around 8.4.

We can add them, but not turn them on by default in the short term. This
has the knock-on effect of delaying the whole plan a release or two, but
otherwise the plan is very actionable.

A lot of the opposition comes from fear that we 'might do anything at any
time'. If we're up front about what is coming and give sufficient notice
and the ability for folks to maintain a reasonably wide backwards
compatibility window without needing to dip into CPP or suppress warnings
them most of those fears go away.

-Edward