Language complexity & beginners (Was: New type of ($) operator in GHC 8.0 is problematic)

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Sat Feb 6 00:09:44 UTC 2016

It may come as a surprise to many of you that I, too, am very worried about Haskell becoming inaccessible to newcomers. If we can't induct new people into our ranks, we will die. It is for this reason that I have always been unhappy with the FTP. But that ship has sailed.

I fully agree with George's suggestion below that the default Prelude should be the beginner's Prelude. I believe I have argued this stance in the past, but louder voices prevailed. Perhaps I was wrong in branding: we should have a proper Prelude as the default, and make available a super whiz-bang advanced Prelude as well. I'm never very good about branding. I'd lend strong support to someone who articulates a concrete move in this direction, but I don't have the bandwidth to spearhead it myself.

Despite the various arguments saying that the bits in Java are easier to understand than the bits in ($), I'm quite unconvinced. (Particularly about `static`. Even `class` is hard for true beginners.) And the boxed/unboxed distinction does come up early in Java: just try to write an ArrayList<int> and now you need to know about boxed types and unboxed ones.

Chris's point that "it's not about the name" is valid. The Levity --> RuntimeRep change is not about the name, but about the functionality. Levity distinguished only between lifted and unlifted; RuntimeRep distinguishes between boxed/lifted, boxed/unlifted, and all the unboxed types with their different widths. I'm just clarifying that it's not simply a cosmetic name-change.

The old type of ($) was always a lie. -XMagicHash just changes the parser, allowing the # suffix. It is only by convention that most (all?) unlifted things end in #. The old type of ($) was perhaps a harmless lie, but a lie nonetheless.

Are we comfortable with lying? (Believe me, I'm not trying to impose some moral dimension to simplifying output!) In my mind, lying about types like this is in the same space as having a beginner's Prelude. And people will constantly discover that we're lying and get very confused. Having a whole host of flags that tell GHC to lie less is somewhat like having two versions of the language... only the differences manifest only in output instead of input.

If we are comfortable with lying in this way: as I've offered, I can hide the type of ($) (and other representation-polymorphic things) behind a flag. Easy to do.

Another great question that has come up is about Haddock output (Hackage). I think Haddock needs to add a facility where library authors can include specializations of an overly general type. This can be done in commentary, but it's not as prominent. Such a new feature would address the ($) problem, as ($) :: forall (a :: *) (b :: *). (a -> b) -> a -> b is a specialization of its real type. It would also help a great deal with FTP-related generalizations.

I also want to respond directly to Kyle's comments:

> I think its important to identify who you want your "customers" to be. If you only want the most advanced type theorists to use the language, that is perfectly fine, but what you lose are thousands of developers that can benefit the Haskell community without having to know advanced Typing.

Rest assured, I want my "customers" to be everyone who wants to program. I've volunteered to teach a bit of Haskell to high schoolers, and I'd love a shot at a course where I teach it to people who have never programmed.

> Needing a "Beginners" mode in a language is *not* a feature, its a fundamental design flaw. It shows that the language was not sufficiently thought out and designed for everyone.

On an intuitive level, this rings true for me. But when I think about the details, I'm less convinced. For example, take Scratch (scratch.mit.edu), which is wonderfully easy to learn and gives kids (and adults!) a great deal of fun. Yet it's painful to use when you know more. And the Racket folks have invested a lot of time in coming up with a curriculum to go with their language, and they explicitly have expertise levels. Needing these levels may just be part of the game.

So, rest assured, I remain very receptive to these concerns. And I'd love concrete help in putting them to rest.

Richard