[Haskell-cafe] New type of ($) operator in GHC 8.0 is problematic

George Colpitts george.colpitts at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 23:30:12 UTC 2016

+1 for Christopher's email
Richard, I disagree with  "But it could indeed be explained to an
intermediate programmer in another language just learning Haskell." Your
explanation is good but it assumes you have already explained "types of
kind *" and the boxed vs unboxed distinction. Admittedly the latter should
be understood by most Java programmers but I doubt that intermediate
programmers in other languages do. If I did have to explain "$" I would
say, for now think of it in terms of it's pre 8.0 type. Alternatively avoid
mentioning "$" to beginners. I don't believe it is in Hutton's book or any
of Bird's although I might be wrong.

Most intermediate programmers in another language struggle a lot with
learning monads, witness all the monad tutorials. Absorbing monads is
central, there is a lot that has to be explained before that. Minimizing
that material would be a good thing.

I have mixed feelings about a beginner's prelude best summarized by saying
the proposed beginner's prelude should be the standard prelude and the
current one should be an advanced prelude. If we have a beginner's prelude
I feel we are saying that this is a hard to understand research language
and we hope that someday you have enough education, energy and tenacity to
get to the point where you understand it. If we do it the other way we are
saying you have what you need but if you want more there is lots!