Attempt at a real world benchmark

Tom Murphy amindfv at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 17:46:16 UTC 2016

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 4:50 AM, Simon Peyton Jones via ghc-devs <
ghc-devs at haskell.org> wrote:

> I have wanted telemetry for years.  ("Telemetry" is the term Microsoft,
> and I think others, use for the phone-home feature.)
>
> It would tell us how many people are using GHC; currently I have literally
> no idea.

In practice I think the best data we could get is "how many people are
using GHC && are willing to opt into phone-home," which seems like a
rougher number than e.g. downloads of ghc/HP or number of downloads of
base/containers or something similar. I also would not opt in.

Tom