Attempt at a real world benchmark

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Fri Dec 9 09:50:09 UTC 2016

I have wanted telemetry for years.  ("Telemetry" is the term Microsoft, and I think others, use for the phone-home feature.)

It would tell us how many people are using GHC; currently I have literally no idea.

It could tell us which language features are most used.

Perhaps it could tell us about performance, but I'm not sure how we could make use of that info without access to the actual source.

The big issue is (a) design and implementation effort, and (b) dealing with the privacy issues.  I think (b) used to be a big deal, but nowadays people mostly assume that their software is doing telemetry, so it feels more plausible.  But someone would need to work out whether it had to be opt-in or opt-out, and how to actually make it work in practice.

Simon