Attempt at a real world benchmark

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Thu Dec 8 16:04:40 UTC 2016

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 08.12.2016, 01:03 -0500 schrieb Joachim Breitner:
> I am not sure how useful this is going to be:
>  + Tests lots of common and important real-world libraries.
>  − Takes a lot of time to compile, includes CPP macros and C code.
> (More details in the README linked above).

another problem with the approach of taking modern real-world code:
It uses a lot of non-boot libraries that are quite compiler-close and
do low-level stuff (e.g. using Template Haskell, or stuff like the). If
we add that not nofib, we’d have to maintain its compatibility with GHC
as we continue developing GHC, probably using lots of CPP. This was
less an issue with the Haskell98 code in nofib.

But is there a way to test realistic modern code without running into
this problem?

Greetings,
Joachim

--