Attempt at a real world benchmark

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Thu Dec 8 06:03:55 UTC 2016

Hi,

I have talked so much about it, it was about time to actually follow
through.

I took a real-world program (tttool, one of mine, show shameless),
inlined all the dependencies so that it would compile without Cabal,
just with a single invocation of GHC on the 277 modules.

The state, including a README, can be found at
https://github.com/nomeata/tttool-nofib#turning-tttool-into-a-benchmark

I am not sure how useful this is going to be:
 + Tests lots of common and important real-world libraries.
 − Takes a lot of time to compile, includes CPP macros and C code.
(More details in the README linked above).

It is late, so I’ll just send this out as it is for now to get the
discussion going if this is a useful approach, or what should be done
different.

(If this is deemed to be useful, I’d do the same for, say, pandoc
next).

Greetings,
Joachim

--