Proposal: Automatic derivation of Lift

Ryan Scott ryan.gl.scott at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 20:02:45 UTC 2015

Unlifted types can't be used polymorphically or in instance
declarations, so this makes it impossible to do something like

    instance Generic Int#

or store an Int# in one branch of a (:*:), preventing generics from
doing anything in #-land. (unless someone has found a way to hack
around this).

I would be okay with implementing a generics-based approach, but we'd
have to add a caveat that it will only work out-of-the-box on GHC 8.0
or later, due to TH's need to look up package information. (We could
give users the ability to specify a package name manually as a
workaround.)

If this were added, where would be the best place to put it? th-lift?
generic-deriving? template-haskell? A new package (lift-generics)?

Ryan S.