Type-level error messages

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 17:27:04 UTC 2015

Hello,

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 9:47 AM, Simon Peyton Jones <simonpj at microsoft.com>
wrote:

> I’ve forgotten the state of your type-level error messages work.  How’s it
> going?
>
> I think we should try to add it to 8.0.1.  The current status is that the
> idea is implemented on a branch.  Then, there were some comments and
> suggestions that maybe we should do things in a different way,
> implementation wise.  I haven't had a chance to look into these in detail,
> or implement them, and as far as I know nobody else has stepped up to make
> the changes.  So we could simply go with the current version, and if for
> some reason we want to change the implementation we could do it later, as I
> don't think the API will be affected in any way.    When do the changes
> need to happen by, so that it makes it in 8.0?   I have been a bit busy,
> but I could probably find some time to make whatever changes are required
> for this to be merged.
>

> OK good!  In that case
>
> ·         Add it to the hoped-for features in the GHC 8.01. status page

Where is the GHC 8.01 status page?

·         Write a wiki page with a specification

https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/CustomTypeErros

> ·         Announce the proposal and seek feedback

We already had a discussion about it, there are notes on the wiki.  I don't
think any of the comments were about the actual design, the comments seem
to be more about the implementation.  On that front, if I am to make the
necessary changes, maybe we could have a chat (or e-mail conversation) to
make sure that I understand the changes and the motivation for them---the
wiki is not a great media for question/answer type of discussions.

> ·         Meanwhile make sure the branch reflects what you want to be in
> it
>
> I think that the branch should be in an OK state, except that it is not
merged with the latest HEAD.

-Iavor